The Dementia Support Service provides face-to-face support to people living with dementia and their carers through the provision of information, counselling and support delivered at the local level.
The role of the service is to provide information and support for individuals or groups, to help them to access the range of relevant services and resources currently available in the community.
One-on-one support for the person with dementia and his or her carer may include providing skills to assist with:
- Finding which community services and resources are available.
- Providing information and greater understanding about dementia, which will assist the carer in undertaking the day-to-day role of caring for a person living with dementia.
- Finding solutions for coping with the behaviour that may occur.
- Directly referring to specialist services if required.
The key outcome of the Dementia Support Service is to help people with dementia to live independently at home with improved quality of life, and to reduce the risk of premature admission to long term residential care.
The Service works together with Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) funded service providers to build a sustainable network of dementia specific expertise to meet the needs of people with dementia, their carers and significant others.
The Dementia Advisory Service supports CHSP service providers across Queensland to further develop their skills in dementia care.
The Service supports the development of knowledge and skills of both paid and volunteer workers who provide CHSP funded services for eligible people.
Support for the service provider may include providing skills to
- Access to information, education and training services to build on the skill and knowledge of existing service providers.
- Access to assistance with assessment and client care coordination in collaboration with the primary service provider.
- Establishing referral pathways and linkages with general practitioners, acute services, community based services and specialist services.
- Access to other resources, e.g. websites.
- Building the ability of the care workers to problem-solve and understand behaviours associated with dementia.
For more information, please contact us by phone, email or visit our website.
Advisors & Professional Services
- Available in QLD
- Dementia advisors
Products, Equipment and Technology
- Available in QLD
- Lifestyle equipment